Mylar 7.
Mr. Villegas seemed awfully chipper teaching us about the unit circle that morning. Instead of his usual grey suit, he had donned his coach jacket and khaki shorts. On his sandaled feet was an exposed tattoo of a flaming wheel. We were all very confused.
We gaped, dumbfounded, at his makeshift semaphore. A handful of students, different ones each time, shouted out the answers as he moved his arm around the pretend circle.
"Pi."
"Two-pi over three."
"Pi-half."
I couldn't help but to try and figure out what was going on. "Mr. Villegas, why are you acting so weird today? Where's your suit?"
Mr. Villegas smirked lively. "Why, it's the Mylar 7."
"The Mylar 7?" I asked, slightly concerned. "What is that?"
"Well, it's the Mylar 7! Don't worry too much about it."
Mr. Villegas didn't stop moving his hand around the circle, and we didn't stop calling out answers until class was finally over.
The next day, Mr. Villegas was back in the suit, as if yesterday had never happened.
Knowing I wasn't going to get any answers from Mr. Villegas, I turned to Google to try and figure out this Mylar 7. My results were less than stellar. Apparently, "Mylar" was a type of polyester material used in insulation and conduction. But I couldn't find anything about "Mylar 7", other than these weird bags that were made of it.
But obviously, that wasn't it. I asked others in the class about it, but they seemed to have forgotten Mr. Villegas had ever uttered the phrase "Mylar 7".
I eventually graduated high school and then college and the process, forgot all about the mysterious Mylar 7. Then one day, almost a decade later, it popped into my mind again. Before it slipped, I messaged my friend Ryan, who was in the Mylar 7 class.
"Hey Ryan, do you remember Mr. Villegas was teaching us about the unit circle that one time, and he said something about Mylar 7? Do you remember anything about that?"
"Yeah, I think it was some kind of teaching method he was learning about. But other than that, I don't know."
Mr. Villegas had been long gone our of our lives at this point. It would be moderately difficult to track him down. And for what? Just because of Mylar 7?
But, it had to be something. It had to have existed. I knew then what I had to do. I knew then that this had been Mr. Villegas's plan all along.
I opened up a blank blog post and began writing:
Mr. Villegas seemed awfully chipper this morning...
Comments
Post a Comment